Select Page

Societies provide protection services to young people to ensure their safety and provide for their families. This guide is intended to be an additional resource and temporary support, while OACAS, in collaboration with CAS, consults with key stakeholders, gathers information and monitors sector services for 16- and 17-year-olds to identify provincial best practices for working with this new age group. A VYSA is a voluntary agreement and a young person can leave the contract at any time. If a VYSA has been terminated, the minor and the company may enter into a new VYSA at any time in the future, provided that the young person meets the eligibility criteria, including the determination that the minor is or may be vulnerable. If you are a First Nation, Inuk or Métis youth, the Society will inform your First Nation group or First Nation, Métis or Inuit that the society is preparing to enter into an agreement with you to provide services to you in a way that respects and preserves your cultural identity and helps you stay connected to your community. Heritage and traditions. The companies will then take the information into account and be able to open an investigation. The company will want to hear about your experience and concerns to help them assess whether you need protection and, if so, what services are right for you. The company may need to talk to your family about the information you provide in your interview.

You can protect your identity as a reference source. CAS can offer you these services or help you find services from another organization in your community. Ask your CAS collaborator what your options are and see what the most appropriate options are for you and your child. Where appropriate, societies will work with young people and their families (or, if young people do not live with their families, in their current living situation) to improve things at home. This may include referrals to community services and programs that can help. This guide is intended to provide additional support to Child Welfare Services (CSCs) and child protection staff who provide services to 16- and 17-year-olds (and older youth in general). The least disruptive approach is that young people are often best supported in their families, large families and communities. Our approach will involve those important to youth in making decisions about the safety and well-being of youth. If you have a VYSA with a company on your 18th birthday, you will be entitled to the “Continue to Care for and Support Youth” (CCSY) program. CCSY offers financial and non-financial assistance to eligible youth (e.g. B service of a member of the society) from the age of 18 until your 21st birthday.

Talk to your company employee about the range of support you may have. If a society finds that a young person is vulnerable and considers a VYSA, kinship service, TCA or court order to put the youth under the guardianship of the society, a referral will be made to the Office of the Children`s Lawyer (OCL), which can legally represent the youth. OcL has lawyers across Ontario who represent children and youth in child protection cases before the courts. The role of the OCL lawyer is to defend the views and interests of young people independently. The lawyer informs young people about the legal process, provides legal advice on available options and engages with young people in court and other trials, for example. B in alternative dispute resolution procedures, complaint procedures about services received by a company and also provides lawyers to parents under 18 years of age. . . .